- Monday, Jan 18, 2021 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM EST (doors open at 8:00 AM)
Over the course of his ministry, Dr. R.C. Sproul was driven by the conviction that everyone is a theologian. All people have some idea of God—the question is whether or not our ideas about God are right. This winter conference, commemorating the fiftieth anniversary of Ligonier Ministries, will celebrate Dr. Sproul’s life and legacy, examining the central themes he proclaimed as he strove to help every Christian become a better theologian.
Registration includes admission to all sessions and access to a mini-bookstore with special conference pricing for select titles.
Monday, January 18, 2021
8:00 a.m.— Registration
9:00 a.m.— Session 1: The Central Idea: One Holy God with Stephen Nichols
In ages past, the church emphasized the transcendent holiness and majesty of God in its worship and teaching. More recently, the church seems to have lost its view of the importance of the holiness of our Creator. Dr. Sproul reminded us that God is holy, and we are not. This session will explore the truth of God’s majestic holiness.
10:00 a.m. — Session 2: No Maverick Molecule: Our Sovereign God with Ken Jones
Essential to the Lord’s very nature is that He is in full control of all things past, present, and future. Dr. Sproul noted that there is not even one “maverick molecule” in the universe that operates outside of the Lord’s sovereign providence. This session will provide an overview of the biblical teaching on divine sovereignty.
11:15 a.m. & 12:00 p.m. — Breakout Sessions:
- Pure Being: Aquinas and R.C. Sproul with Keith Mathison — This session will consider how Dr. Sproul was influenced by Thomas Aquinas, looking particularly at how Aquinas’ doctrine of God and habit of making careful distinctions was important for Dr. Sproul’s theology.
- True Wisdom: Calvin and R.C. Sproul with John Tweeddale — This session will discuss John Calvin’s influence on Dr. Sproul, focusing especially on how Calvin’s doctrines of biblical inspiration and illumination and Calvin’s understanding of the Lord’s Supper were vital to Dr. Sproul’s ministry.
- And Beauty: Edwards and R.C. Sproul with Stephen Nichols — This session will examine the influence of Jonathan Edwards on Dr. Sproul, looking particularly at how Dr. Sproul’s thought was shaped by Edwards’ understanding of the beauty of God, human free will, and spiritual awakening.
- Rational Biblical Theology: Gerstner and R.C. Sproul with Benjamin Shaw —This session will explore the influence of John Gerstner on Dr. Sproul, focusing especially on Gerstner’s impact on Dr. Sproul in the area of apologetics and on the years of collaboration between these two theologians.
12:30 p.m. — Lunch Break — Lunch may be purchased from an on-site food truck or at any local restaurant.
2:00 p.m. — Main Session 3: Sin Is Cosmic Treason: Our Supreme Folly with James Dolezal
Sin is not a mere mistake or a minor offense; rather, as Dr. Sproul frequently reminded us, it is cosmic treason. This session will consider the nature of sin as an act of rebellion against the Most High God as well as a condition into which all people since Adam (except Christ) are born. It will consider such issues as total depravity, the imputation of Adam’s sin and guilt, and others.
3:00 p.m. — Main Session 4: Hide Filthy Rags of Sin: Our Only Hope with J.V. Fesko
Dr. R.C. Sproul was known for his staunch defense of justification by faith alone on account of the imputation of the righteousness of Christ to His people. This session will remind us of our gospel hope that we have been declared righteous in Christ through faith alone, and it will look at the imputation of our sin to Christ, the imputation of Christ’s righteousness to us, the instrumentality of faith, and other issues.
3:45 p.m. — Bookstore Break
4:15 p.m. — Battlefield Theologian: Reflecting on the Ministry of R.C. Sproul (Panel Discussion: Dolezal, Fesko, Jones, and Nichols)
Health & Safety
Due to the ongoing health concerns related to COVID-19, we have reduced the capacity for this conference and have implemented additional precautionary measures to help protect the well-being of all in attendance. Please register as soon as possible to secure your place.
If you are traveling from out of town, we recommend staying at the following hotel. Please ask for the Ligonier Ministries rate.Orlando Marriott Lake Mary
1501 International Parkway
Lake Mary, Florida 32746
407-995-1100 (2.5 miles)
Cancellations and refund requests must be made at 800-435-4343 during normal business hours (not via voicemail message), or email (email@example.com). Refund requests received by January 4, 2021 (5:00 p.m. ET), will be honored in full. Cancellations received between January 5, 2021, and January 13, 2020 (5:00 p.m. ET), will receive a 50% refund. No refunds will be granted after January 13, 2021.
By registering for this event you agree to receive communications from Reformation Bible College, Ligonier Ministries, and their associated outreaches.Reformation Bible College (RBC) reserves the right to use any photograph/video taken at any event sponsored by RBC, without the expressed written permission of those included within the photograph/video. RBC may use the photograph/video in publications or other media material produced, used or contracted by RBC including but not limited to: brochures, invitations, books, newspapers, magazines, television, websites, etc. By participating in a RBC event, you are agreeing to release, defend, hold harmless and indemnify RBC from any and all claims involving the use of your picture or likeness.